Arizona Department of Financial Institutions Official Website Arizona Department of Financial Institutions Arizona's Official Web Site

FAQs For Filing a Complaint

For Filing a Complaint

Please read the information in its entirety before filing a complaint
Q: Is there anything I can do before I file a complaint?

A: Before you file a complaint, you should contact the company and express your concern or dissatisfaction. You may be able to come to a resolution without filing a complaint. When you call the company, ask to speak to someone in authority, be courteous and remain calm. Explain the problem and provide dates and amounts paid or billed, have important documents, and present as many facts as possible. Explain what type of remedy you are seeking. If this fails to resolve your complaint, you may wish to complete a complaint form and mail, email or fax it to Arizona Department of Financial Institutions (“AZDFI”), if it is a company that is regulated by AZDFI. If it is not a company regulated by AZDFI, you should file a complaint form with the appropriate agency.


Q: How do I know if AZDFI is the appropriate agency to file a complaint with?

A: You can look on the AZDFI website under “Lookup a Licensee” and if the company you are dissatisfied with is on that list, AZDFI is the appropriate agency to file a complaint with. If the company is not on the list but they are a license type on the list, except for banks and credit unions, and they are located in Arizona or you are an Arizona resident, you can file a complaint with AZDFI.


If the company is a bank and it is located in Arizona and it does not show on AZDFI’s list of Licensees, it may be regulated by another state agency or it may be a national or federal bank. You may call or visit the websites listed below to find the appropriate agency to file a complaint with. You may also call AZDFI’s Consumer Affairs Division at 602-771-2800, option #5 for assistance in finding the appropriate regulator. For banks and credit unions located in Arizona, please see the Other regulator referral list


Office of the Comptroller of the Currency at (800) 613-6743
Federal Reserve Board at (888) 851-1920
Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation at (877) 275-3342
Consumer Financial Protection Bureau at (855) 411-2372
Federal Financial Institutions Examination
CSBS Directory of State Bank Regulator links


If the company is a credit union and it is located in Arizona and it is not on AZDFI’s list of licensees, it may be a federal credit union and generally has the word “federal” in its name. It is regulated by the National Credit Union Association whose information is provided below. You may also call AZDFI’s Consumer Affairs Division at 602-771-2800, option #5 to assist you in finding the appropriate regulator.


National Credit Union Administration
1775 Duke Street
Alexandria, VA 22314-3428


Note: If you inadvertently file your complaint with AZDFI and the Consumer Affairs Division examiner determines that we do not have the authority to investigate, we will refer your complaint to the appropriate authority or return your complaint and it may take longer for your complaint to be resolved.

Q: If the company I’m dissatisfied with is not regulated by AZDFI and it is not a bank or credit union, how can I find the appropriate agency with which to file a complaint?
A: Generally, most companies that offer consumer services have an appropriate authority or regulator that offers consumer protection. For your convenience, we have provided you with an Other Regulatory Agency Referral List. You can also visit the Better Business Bureau to check out a business or charity.
Q: What Important Items should I consider before I file a complaint?

A: Important Items you should consider before filing a complaint:

  • The Consumer Affairs Division can only act on violations of laws, rules and regulations on entities regulated by the Department.
  • The Consumer Affairs Division cannot give you legal advice, nor can they recommend an attorney to you.
  • Except in limited circumstances, the Consumer Affairs Division cannot pursue legal redress on your behalf. You should always contact a private attorney who can advise you of your rights.
  • The Consumer Affairs Division will not handle a complaint that is in litigation or if an attorney has been retained, nor will the Division act on behalf of either party to the dispute.
  • The Department will still accept and process your complaint even if it is in litigation.

Q: How do I file a complaint?

A: Complaints must be submitted in writing before an investigation can begin. Use the complaint form available here. Be sure to:

  • Identify the business. Include the name, current address and phone number of the business.
  • Describe the problem. Describe as completely as you can the problem. Write the details of the dispute and include as many facts as possible such as dates, places, contracts, letters, advertisements and what was said by each party, etc. Attach an additional page to explain the problem, if necessary.
  • State your desired resolution. State what action would resolve this matter to your satisfaction.
  • Include your contact information. Include a daytime phone number and your mailing address if you want to be contacted. If you do not include this information it will be impossible for us to contact you to resolve the complaint.
  • Include photocopies. Attach copies of any documents to support your complaint, such as, printed advertisements, sales slips contracts, letters, applications, cancelled checks or other documents. Keep all original supporting documents for your files.

Mail, email or fax written complaints to the:

Arizona Department of Financial Institutions
Consumer Affairs Division
100 N 15th Avenue, Suite 261, Phoenix, AZ 85007
E-mail: [email protected]
Facsimile: 602-381-1225

Q: How does the complaint process work?

A: Upon receipt of your complaint, the information is entered into the Department’s database, assigned a number and assigned to a Consumer Affair’s examiner. The examiner sends the complaint and any supporting documentation along with a cover letter to the appropriate contact person at the regulated entity and asks them to respond within 10 business days from the date the complaint is mailed. The examiner will send you a confirmation letter with his/her name and the complaint number for your reference. If the examiner needs additional information, he/she will contact you and make a request. If you provide accurate initial information, it will make the process more efficient.

Once the response has been received, the examiner reviews the submitted information and makes a determination about the merits of the complaint. The review process may involve further communication with you or the regulated entity. The Department will try to mediate a fair and equitable resolution. You will receive a letter documenting the conclusions and actions regarding the complaint.

The complete complaint process can take 30-40 business days. In certain situations, the examiner may need to extend the processing time beyond the typical time frame. If this is necessary, the examiner will notify you.

Q: Do I have to comply with the resolution to the complaint?
A: No. You are not under AZDFI’s jurisdiction, and the Department cannot provide you with legal advice.
Q: Are my rights limited by the resolution?
A: No. You have the right to pursue the matter yourself or with legal counsel regardless of how the Department handles the matter.
Q: Who can I call if I need more help in filling out the complaint form?
A: You may call the Consumer Affairs Division at 602-771-2800, option #5 with any questions.